Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Going to Graceland Graceland.......

Thursday October 29- We got up early to hit the road to Mississippi. We were on the road before 9 a.m. It was going to be a long day for us. We had around 240 miles to go with a lot of that on 2 lane, hilly roads. We are going to Hernando Point Campground. We have been here before about 10 years ago. We had a different camper then. We actually stayed in the same site #50. Jeff planned a few stops on our way. When we stopped Jeff noticed something weird under the compartment where the battery is. Something is leaking, and whatever it is took the paint right off the rig. So we took some time to clean that up and try to stop the leaking. Something we will have to take care off for sure. When we pulled into the campground we had to be careful, it seemed like the roads were missing. There are lots of trees that have lost there leaves on the roads. Some of the branches were a bit low too. After backing into our site, which is right on the water and very private we had something to eat.


Our site had a water hook up, and 50 amp service. We walked around the park to get our legs stretched out. Jeff then got on the computer to do some research on the surrounding area. Tomorrow we are going to do the tourist thing. We are going to Graceland, Graceland, Memphis Tennessee.
Friday October 30- Busy, busy, day planned for us so we got a early start. First we needed to get fuel. Then we headed to Graceland by way of Krispy Kreme Doughnut Factory...those are for me of course. We got a good parking spot at Graceland that cost $10.00 and headed in. Jeff went to purchase the tickets.....ouch. They really are over charging for this, it cost us $40.00 each to see Graceland, the grounds and a museum with his cars. You get in a van to go across the street. They give everyone an I-pad and headphones. Mine had a short in one side. It was about what we expected it to be. The home was smaller than I thought. You didn't get to go upstairs. We looked through the home, the grounds, and the grave site before heading back across the street. Then we went in and checked out his vehicles they had on display.



It was neat to see but its definitely over priced. We did learn that Elvis was a very giving guy. They showed some of the charity's he worked with. We left the truck there in the parking lot and took a free bus to Sun Records. It was a neat old buildings but instead of going in for another tour we took some pictures and walked down to Beale Street. It was a beautiful day to be outside.

Before leaving the area Jeff wanted to go look at the Gibson Guitar Factory. We didn't have time to plan a tour which we hear is free. We looked in the window and saw a little bit of how they put them together. We also walked in the shop there that had some guitars you could try. Jeff found one that costs about $6000 dollars and gave it a try, boy he said it even made him sound good.


Our next adventure required a bit of walking. We headed toward the river where Bass Pro has purchased the Pyramid. It is huge with the usual stuff but bigger. They also have a lodge, bowling alley, lots of restaurants etc. The walk was about a couple miles. It was fairly easy to get there too. We ended up getting lunch there in The Uncle Buck Restaurant and it was good. We looked around a little and headed out. We walked down by the river before heading back to Sun Records to catch the bus.

The riverfront is really kept up nice. The have an amphitheater across the river and a tram that runs under the bridge to the island and back.

We made our way back to the truck and then back to the campground. It was a long day but we had fun looking at all the sites. Maybe if we come back we will do the Sun Record tour and the Gibson Guitar Factory tour. We now have a good idea of places we could park and walk. Bye, bye, Memphis until next time.

Saturday October 31- Rain, rain, rain, that's what you expect on Halloween. Jeff decided between last night and this morning he wanted to purchase a dish tailgate. We had planned to go to Camping World to get a couple things anyway. So off we went to shop. While we were in Camping World the sky's opened up and the rain just poured. Jeff found everything he needed and more. We headed back toward the campground. We stopped at the store and Jeff topped off the truck with fuel. He got diesel for $1.97 at the Kroger gas station. He couldn't believe it. The biggest news today was about our grandson, Ashton. He had his first hockey games today. We didn't get to see him but our kids keep us up on all that goes on. Ashton scored the very first goal in the first game. They had a second game too and he scored the very last goal in that one. They won both games and I'm sure he was excited about the results. Seth even facetimed me so we could see some of the game.

He was a bit nervous I'm sure the first picture was before the first game. The second picture was before the second game. Way to go Jr. Roughriders!!!! Way to go #7......

Sunday November 1- Well we fell back last night so that means the whole day will be a bit mixed up. We worked on getting the dish receiver set up so we can activate it at our next stop. We also called the next campground to make sure they have spots available. We don't have reservations there. We also called Fort Pickens. We have reservations there on November 4th, but because of all the rain the road to the park is closed. We hope it will be open before we are to arrive. Tomorrow we move again to Brandon Mississippi, real close to Jackson.