Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

A Lonely Campground



Monday April 27- It's a special day today, my best friend has a birthday today. So I had to give her a call to sing her Happy Birthday. When I looked outside I notice there isn't a lick of wind. This is very unusual for this park. Then I looked down at at lake and see some birds, so I grabbed my camera and went down. Got some really good pictures...first I spotted these two with there perfect reflection. Then I hear some noises and look to see a family getting in the lake to go for a swim.






As you can see when they entered the water they made some ripples which only made the pictures better. I'm becoming my grandma, that's for sure.


Then we decided to take a road trip. Since we haven't been visiting the grocery stores our cash is gone. The closest branch to our bank is in North Liberty, so that's where we went. It was a nice day for a drive and it does feel good to leave every once in awhile. After getting some cash and before heading back to the rig we stopped by and picked up some packages that we had shipped to Justin's. We came home and since it was so pretty I went out to pick up some trash around the park. I do a different area every day.



Tuesday April 28- This morning the wind wasn't so up to the 2nd loop to do trash detail. It is really nice and quiet here. No people to make too much of a mess or to visit with. When I got back I called the vet in Center Point to see if they have Belle's prescription dog food. I also checked about heart guard medicine. We keep our dogs on the medicine year round because it is always warm. Now if we would live in Iowa you don't give it to them in the winter. My pet peeve is they make us get the dogs tested every year before giving us there meds. We do not have a lapse in the meds so I feel the test is just not necessary....aggravating. In the afternoon I looked at the water and spotted the flock of white pelicans on the water. So off I go with camera in hand. I took a few pictures on the way down just in case they fly off. I get down there and start to focus on them when my camera goes dead....bummer.




Wednesday April 29- Well it was a good thing I got out the last couple days because today was gray and WINDY!! Jeff went to pick up Belle's dog food in town. I don't think I went outside most of the day. It was a quilting day for me.




Thursday April 30- A better day today...we had sunshine. I walked down by the beach area and the smaller boat ramp. Found plenty of garbage. While the campground is closed the rest of the park is open. People have been staying at home too much, they are really enjoying the rest of the park. It was sunny but still a little chilly. I waited for it to warm up some before giving Belle a haircut and Ruby a bath. I finished up the quilting of lines and shadows on the hat of the snowman. Now I need to come up with an idea on how to fill in the rest of it with quilting. I've never done a project like this before. I'm having to think extra hard...it's painful. We finished off the day with a little Wellstrung music. They joined Jarrod Hogan for a mini show live on facebook. It was fun to watch and listen but not nearly as good as live.

Friday May 1- Today I needed to do laundry, it was suppose to be warm and sunny. I did 3 loads.
It didn't feel that warm. I took the car over to the other side of the lake where the big boat ramp is. Last year they were working on it and it was the first time I saw what they did. Boy what an improvement. I was going to town with the trash pick up until my grippers broke. That took care of that job. It did warm up some and turned into a beauty of a day. We decided to go mushroom hunting. So we rode our bikes up to the path and went to hunting. I didn't have much luck. Jeff found 2 and I found 1. Good thing I don't like them. We did see some pretty flowers and lots of frogs.








Saturday May 2- It was busy day at the park. It was super nice outside. Everyone was taking advantage of it. We had boaters, kayakers, walkers and bikers. Families were even having picnics. It really is nice to see people using the park. We do have a very nice area to enjoy. Jeff went to the store and picked up the groceries. I took Ruby for a walk. Jeff even walked down to the dock to try a little fishing. No catching just fishing. I made sugar cookies today for tomorrow. We are very excited for tomorrow, we are going to get together with the kids and grandkids.


Sunday May 3- Up and watched church online. I'm very happy that we have that option but, really miss the church family. Today was another really nice day. We are going to Seth and Katie's today. Happy that the weather cooperated. We stayed outside and visited. They played bags and the kids jumped on the trampoline and skate boards. We had food and just enjoyed the time together.






After eating we had our annual late Easter egg hunt. I think the kids had fun. I know us adults did.









When the party was over we packed up Hailey and brought her home for a few days. We got her unloaded and it wasn't long before she had us on the run.When she comes out here she has a big list of things she wants to do. First thing she wanted to do was some fishing. So her and Papa walked across the road and down the hill to the lake. The put there poles in the water and waited for....not a bite. She spotted a couple little bitty fish so not a total bust.






















Monday May 4- Up early but Hailey was slow to rise. When she did get up it wasn't long before she was ready for breakfast. Papa has been bragging about his new waffle maker, so of course waffles is what we had for breakfast. She had to decorate hers, but she loved it.


Hailey's list included papa showing her how to play the ukulele. He showed her a few chords and seemed to have fun at that. Papa and her did some jammin....


We had quite the temperature change from yesterday. Yesterday it was in the mid 80's, today it's in the 40's. We decided to go across the lake and do some fishing and some trash detail. What we did see was a lot of baby ducks with there mama and daddy.



















When we got back we remembered a trick we had got for Hailey while we were in Florida...it is rattlesnake eggs in an envelope. Well to say we scared her would be an understatement. We both felt horrible after it scared her to death. Well the pictures say it all.





We got her calmed down and got on with our list of things to do. Played lots of games, did lots of crafts and had some special treats. She definitely keeps us busy.


Tuesday May 5- Another busy day, but the weather was horrible. It rained all day long. After breakfast we got started on our list. First we made a card for Hailey's mom for mothers day. We also played WII, yahtzee, and made cookies. We also did some coloring and her spiral graph. It was a full day. Her dad came and got her when he was done with work. We needed to rest up after those busy days. I decided I couldn't wait any longer to get back quilting so I marked the hat and got started.


Wednesday May 6- So quiet around here today. I went up and walked around the 2nd loop to pick up trash. The sun is out but the temps are still chilly. I did some more quilting. After coming up with a plan I decided I liked it so that made it fun to do. I also spent some time watching the orioles, they are really starting to come around. I love it when I can zoom in and get a great close up. The hummingbirds are a buzzing around too.




































After lunch Justin came out and he and Jeff went mushroom hunting. They didn't have much luck. I think Jeff found a few. Tonight when I looked outside I spotted 10 orioles on the fire pit waiting for there turn at the jelly bowl. I love them birds. Then I received a text from Carl the park ranger here. He said we will be opening the campground this Friday. The shower houses and the cabins will not open yet.

Thursday May 7- Brrr it was a chilly morning. Woke up to a beauty of a sunrise. Today I decided to get my bird feeders and seed. They are really getting upset that I haven't hung them up yet. I had to make a trip in to Theisens to get a feeder, seed, and suet. I'm not liking the shopping experience now so I made sure to get plenty. I don't want to go back for a while. When I got home I got all the feeders filled and up. It didn't take long for my feathery friends to show up. I now have way more birdies to keep me entertained. Tomorrow the campground opens at 8 am.



Friday May 8- Since we couldn't see the super moon last night because of all the clouds, this morning it was waiting for us. The campground is opening today and Matt was going to come in early and open the barricades to let them in. At 6:30 I saw the first camper pull in,  to wait for the park to open. They had to wait for Matt to come in. Wasn't suppose to open until 8. I thought we were going to have a full campground. That didn't happen, we only had 10 campers in our loop and even less than that in the 2nd loop. Jeff went to get our weekly grocery pick up. I hung around here and watched the birds show up.





Saturday May 9- Oh my......it's 29 degrees out there. On a better note we do have sunshine. It warmed up in the 60's today. This afternoon we grabbed Hailey's bike and took it in. Jeff brought his guitar, he and Seth did some guitar playing.  Then we went over to Justin's to pick up a package from Amazon. I also brought Maddyn her quilt. I gave it to her and I think she liked it. She calls it her blanklet.





















When I got home I did more quilting. Today I finished the snowman's face.


Sunday May 10-Happy Mother's Day.....I heard from the boys and the grandkids. We stayed around here all day. The weather was horrible. I went to get my quilting stuff out and I grabbed my lamp. It just broke. Not in one place but 2. No way we are going to fix it. I will have to order a new one. It was a long gray, cold day. Most of our campers went home. Now that the campground is opened maybe things will start to get back to normal.....well a little. At least we can see people. Well until next time.......
































No comments:

Post a Comment