Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Part 2 at Jonathan Dickinson

Sunday January 4- No rain this morning so we decided to load up the kayaks and head to the boat ramp in the park. We got in the boats and headed up the Loxahatchee River. As we were putting the boats in the water we spotted a sea otter, so the day started off good... a critter before we even left the shore. Our goal was to make it up the river to Trapper Nelson interpretive site...also known as the wild man of Loxahatchee. It was about a 4 mile trip up the river. It was a beautiful day and the river had lots of turns and curves. We picked a perfect day and even with it being Sunday, not crowded.

The upper Northwest Fork of the Loxahatchee River is one of the few wild and natural rivers remaining in southwest Florida It has remained virtually unchanged. The river winds from a completely freshwater environment to the saltwater mangrove community. There are lots of critters and the vegetation is remarkable.

On the way back we spotted a manatee and these crazy jumping mullets, and boy could they jump.

The trip down the river was a bit easier, there was a pretty good current that really helped us out. We had a great day on the river and would recommend this trip. If you don't have a kayak of your own they have rentals at the park, or you could go on the guided pontoon boat tour from the park.

Monday January 5- We got up and Jeff had me go outside to watch the space station fly over, you could see it very clearly. Then I looked in the other direction and saw the biggest moon, what a sight...or 2 sights. We decided to go for a walk, we found a nice path that went through the woods. Some of the path was sandy and some was paved. Very quiet and very nice. Makes you want to go for a walk. Today we headed to town to get a few supplies. Had planned on doing the lighthouse today but it clouded up so we decided to wait. It seems to do some kind of raining almost everyday.

Tuesday January 6- Another great day for a walk. I always do better when I have a planned route to walk, takes the guess work out of it. When we got back the weather still looked good so we headed to the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse. When we arrived we saw a bus so there were lots of kids there. To go see the lighthouse you have to buy a ticket and you take a tour. The ticket was $9.00 and our tour guide Wibb was full of interesting information. We picked a great day it was beautiful. Another bonus was this awesome banyan tree at the base of the lighthouse. Pictures don't do it justice.

After the tour, Jeff went in the museum and watched a short movie, I hit the gift shop. It had lots of neat stuff but one thing in particular..a pink flamingo which our granddaughter ordered. So of course I made a purchase. We headed back home and I tried to get the laundry done before the rain came, I almost made it but thank goodness they have laundry facilities here. I used the dryer to finish up.

Wednesday January 7-We decided to ride our bikes this morning. The more we see of this park the more we like. When we got home we both somehow started doing some cleaning. Jeff on the outside with some more waxing, me I worked inside.

Thursday January 8- There was a cold front that arrived last night. It was so funny watching the weather this morning. The weatherman said you better bundle up its gonna be cold out there with a wind chill. In his next breath he said the high would be in the high 60's. When we went out for our walk I put on a hooded sweatshirt and I had to take it off because I got hot. Boy if they want to experience cold they should head north. Took advantage of the cold weather and made soup for supper. Since the weather was cool and rainy we took in another movie. Went to see Wild with Reese Witherspoon...pretty good.

Friday January 9- Jeff worked on a year end report. I went for a nice bike ride. I took some different paths. Again I loved it.  I ended clear down by the river, a real nice ride. On my way home it started sprinkling so I picked up the pace. As soon as I got home the skys opened up and it poured. I'm glad I made it home before that happened.

Saturday January 10- Our last full day here at Jonathan Dickenson. It was a nice day so we got busy putting stuff away. Loading up the bikes and boats. Jeff has been wanting to go to Tiki 52 since about the first day we got here. Its a bar not very far from the park
with live music. He got on the internet to check out the music and its a good thing. The night he had picked to start was something neither of us would have liked. Tonight was different. When we arrived a big football game was going on so the music started late. The bands name was Killbillies. Can't really classify there music but both of us really liked them. It was a nice evening with great entertainment.

Well again those 2 weeks really flew by. It was our first visit to this park but it wont be our last. We will definitely be back. We love the park and what it has to offer and also love the area around it. So much more we need to see here...til next time bye bye Jonathan Dickinson.