Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Hiting the Road


Wednesday October 14-Well today is the day, we are out of here. Good bye hosting spot, good bye shower house, good bye Pleasant Creek State Park. We had wanted to leave by 9 a.m. but when Jeff checked to see if the water pump worked.....it didn't. It took him awhile to get it to work and we really needed that to work because the park we are going to didn't have water hook ups. We left around 10:30 and before we got to Palo we had lost the clear site on the sewer line. We stopped to look but couldn't find it. The weather was perfect for traveling and we knew the route because we had taken it many times before. We are heading to Mark Twain Lake, Ray Behrens campground. It located close to Hannibal Mo. Before we traveled full time we used this park a lot. When we arrived we were surprised by the number of campers. All the full hook ups were taken so its a good thing Jeff got the water pump working. We found a good spot #28 and backed in. We have 50 amp service which is good. No water on site or sewer. The thing that really bothered us was we had no T.V. Neither of us remembered that. The internet was super slow, even my phone didn't work that well.




After setting up we took a drive around the park and noticed the beautiful fall trees and even spotted a  deer along the road.

 We drove to a gas station to see if we could get a fishing license. Jackpot...we each picked up a 1 day pass so tomorrow looks like we will be fishing.


Thursday October 15- Well I got up way earlier than I had wanted. Soffee woke up at 2:30 and wanted out of bed. I took her out and she went back to sleep for about an hour. Then she did the same thing. I took her out again and she laid down in the leaves..unusal I thought. I brought her in and stayed out in the living room with her. She was really acting weird. She wouldn't lay down, and wouldn't even close her eyes. She usually sleeps 95% of the day. There were lots of things that concerned me. She was looking different, and acting really different. At one point I woke Jeff up because she scared me so much. She eventually came around. I was really relieved. It was really cool in the morning so we went fishing from the shore. That way we could fish for awhile come back and check on Soffee, refill our coffee and go out on the water. The temperatures warmed up so we took the kayaks to the boat ramp and went out fishing. It was a beautiful day and the trees very colorful.




The fishing wasn't that good but it was a great day to be out on the water. The wind started picking up so we made our way back to the dock.


Friday October 16- Another cool morning so I had to wait a bit before going on my walk. The walk was very scenic. I couldn't resist taking a few pictures.
























This is a nice park, its quiet and very scenic. The rest of the day we hung around the park. We left the campground around 2. We are making a trip to Palmyra to meet a very special set of twins. A friend of mine, Amanda Crumrine had these babies and I haven't been able to meet them yet. This girl I met thru church. We had a bible study when they were in high school and the friendship has lasted with them. It was a big blessing in my life to know them. It was a mentoring study. I was the mentor which is really funny because I know I learned way more from them then they ever could get from me. It was a great visit and so nice to visit with her and her husband Dave. The babies, well who can resist babies. They were a bit timid at first but warmed up to us.


After our visit here we left and went to Quincy Il., we are meeting my best friend and her husband for supper. I had made reservations at Fuji, a Japanese steak house. We got a seat by the grill to watch all the action.
























The food was great and so was the company. We visited a while then we both left to go to our homes. It was good to see my friend before leaving....going to miss her a lot.



Saturday October 17- Its cool again this morning. Jeff made us a campfire. The campfire was really warm. Jeff I guess didn't realize that until it was too late. He melted his crocks.





















We enjoyed the fire, even the dogs liked being outside. After lunch we took off on another road trip. This time we are going to Mexico Mo., These folks are also from our old church. It took about 45 minutes to get there. It was nice to see them and visit. Bonus she made the best brownies ever.
We stayed and visited for quite a while then headed back. Thanks Guy and Jean for a wonderful afternoon.


Sunday October 18- I took a short walk this morning before heading into Hannibal. I was really excited to go because I was going to one of my favorite quilt stores, The Hickory Stick. Well when we arrived there was some kind of festival going on downtown. Down the main street there was vendors set up. Lots of crafts, food and activities. Walked through and spotted what we wanted to purchase. We got fudge, kettlecorn, and beer bread.
























The quilt store didn't disappoint either. I found lots of fabric I couldn't live without. We came back to the campground and packed up our stuff. We are taking off tomorrow for the Ozarks. Good bye Mark Twain Lake.....its been fun.






No comments:

Post a Comment