Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Starting South



Monday October 14- Today we woke up to cold temperatures but sunny skies. There was no wind either. We weren't in any hurry to get on the road because this trip was short. We are driving to Keokuk Iowa, our home town. We watched at our neighbors, The Griffey's take off. Then we finished packing up and said our good byes. We even had a couple bald eagles flying over our site like they were saying good bye.






We landed at Hickory Haven Campground around 1:30 and pulled in to site #9. It was a full hook up, and a pull through site. The TV wasn't so good. We couldn't believe how few local channels that came in. Jeff did get the dish set up which gave us some options. Our neighbors were Dave and Sharon Johnson, friends from our church here in Keokuk. We both were super busy but said our hellos quick saying we would get together later. After we got everything set up we headed in to town. We had made plans to meet our friend Coy at V's. I went all through grade school with her. It just happens to be her birthday so we took her out for supper. We had a great time catching up.



Tuesday October 15- This morning we took the car to Goodyear to get the oil changed. That's one thing good about small towns they don't rob you on the basic things. Jeff had a coupon for him to save $10.00 on a oil change, they gave him $20.00 off. We walked to a local coffee shop to have some coffee and breakfast while waiting for that. Then we picked up the car and drove around town. It kind of saddens us, it seems to be going down hill. We stopped over to see my sister and brother in-law. Then before heading back to the campground we went to the store for supplies. Then went back in to town to visit some others, and went and said hi to Jeff's brother Rick and his wife Sara. They have a new dog so we got to meet him....a bit rowdy, still a puppy. Then before heading back brought my sister some food. We came back and after dinner we walked across the street to visit with Jeff's brother Fritz and his wife Shawn. As you will notice while we are here in Keokuk we do lots of running visiting with family and friends.


Wednesday October 16- Today we jumped in the car and took us a road trip to Mt Pleasant. Jeff has been doing some research on manufactured homes. So we went to Davis Homes and looked around. We have stopped here before but we had some questions. We got those answered and looked at some homes they have set up. We aren't ready to buy anything yet but are just looking for options. We got home and I did our laundry at the facilities that they have here. I also made some homemade noodles to use for supper tomorrow. It's been rather cool at there and that sounded good. About supper time we made our way down to the Southside Boat Club. They have Papa Chico's tacos on Wednesday, which are some of the best tacos ever. We met my best friend Judy and her husband down there. Well if you live in a small town you always run in to people you know. We ended up staying there for quite a while. Our food was so good and the prices great. It was a fun evening with friends.







Thursday October 17- Our neighbors, Dave and Sharon are pulling out today. We decided to go for breakfast before they left. We drove in to HyVee and ordered us some breakfast. Again we saw lots of people we knew and chatted with. We enjoyed our breakfast with Dave and Sharon and caught up with them. Last time we saw them was last fall at this same park. They have the same idea as us on when to head south.


After breakfast I went to my sisters to clean, and visit.I was trying to make friends with there dog Hawkeye but I don't think he was for it, he bit my finger....ouch. Jeff ran some errands, after he did a few repairs here. For supper I got home and cooked up the noodles with mashed potatoes. Jeff delivered some to my sister and her husband. We ate ours, they turned out extra good. Maybe it was just the weather that made them taste so good. Then Judy came out after work, I offered her some and then we just sat and talked.


Friday October 18- Didn't have anywhere we had to be early today so we started off slow. I did run in to town to Stan's Bakery to get some cream horns. This bakery has been around forever and have the best cream horns for sure. When I got there I had to take pictures because to see this place, it's like stepping back in time.




After my purchase I dropped off some at my sisters. I made a couple more stops before heading back home. It was a pretty nice day out there today. The temps had warmed up a bit and the sun was out. I took Miss Ruby for a walk. Then about 3 o'clock we went back into town. Today we were going to visit Peggy Vass. She is the mother of my friend Coy, also she worked as a dispatcher so Jeff worked with her for awhile. She really appreciated us stopping by, it was fun to visit with her. Before we left Coy showed up to do her daily check on her. We got to visit with her some more. We left there and went to get supper. We went to Meyers Courtyard, they are known for there all you can eat chicken on Wednesdays and fish on Fridays. My sister and her husband really wanted some fish. We ate there then ordered some for them and brought them home to her. The bonus here was we saw a friend Beth and we haven't talked to her for at least 7 years. Since we have been on the road. We made plans to get together and catch up. When we arrived home I went to take Ruby out and saw Fritz and Shawn walking around the loop. They came in and talked a bit. Then they went home and we had more guests. Teri and Matt came out,I worked with Teri at my last job. So more visiting for us. I wish I had a talk tracker instead of a step tracker, I think I might be breaking some kind of record.


Saturday October 19- Beth stopped out this morning so we caught up with her, and what her kids are doing. Then after lunch Sue called and invited us over to visit. Her husband Mike worked with Jeff at the fire station, they are also parents of Teri, who came to visit last night. It's a small town we lived in.  They live in the country and while we were talking we had some visitors show up. They have about 6 deer that are around quite often.





















We said our good byes and went in to town. We stopped at The Elks to crash a retirement party for a police officer Jeff knew. We saw lots of people there we knew, so guess....yes we talked to quite a few of them. Then we called it a night.


Sunday October 20- Today is the last day we will be in Keokuk. We started off the day by going to church. We went back to the church we attended 20 plus years when we lived here, NTCC.




Here we saw people that we haven't seen for quite a while. Some really near and dear friends. It was nice to see them all. After church came home and did some baking and made a casserole to take to my sister. I also caught up all my laundry. We drove in to drop off the food and said our good byes to my sister Dru and her husband Jay. We have been spending a lot of time with them this time. Jay has ALS, found out right after he retired. This guy has always done everything for everybody. So now its our turn to do what we can. We went back home and look who pulled in.....Ben and Rhonda Wharton. We seem to see them every time we come to Hickory Haven. When the pulled in Judy was out here. She stopped by on her way home to say good bye. Well we ended up saying more than good bye. When she left we went over and talked to Ben and Rhonda. They have the exact same rig as us, it was weird seeing us both parked next to each other. We had a busy day for sure. Tomorrow we move on down the road a bit.


Monday October 21- Well last night we got quite a bit of rain. We thought maybe we would have to deal with it today.  It had stopped when we got up but it sprinkled a little. We didn't have to delay are leaving though. We packed up, hooked up and got ready to go. Ben and Rhonda came out to say good bye. The sun came out and it was a pretty day.




Just like that our stay at Hickory Haven is over...next stop Ray Behrens Mark Twain Lake.
We hit the road at 9:30, we arrived around 11. It was a good time to pull in. There were lots of walk in sites available. We picked site #2B. These sites are long and paved. We also got a full hook up. We were happy to arrive here the wind picked up on our way down. It was blowing right at us so our gas mileage was horrible. Good thing we weren't going far.  It is pretty down here with the colors of fall just showing up. I got a couple picks when we drove in.



We got all set up and just hung around here. I took Ruby for a walk. We were so busy in Keokuk we are ready for a couple days of doing no running.


Tuesday October 22- Today was cleaning day. The roads were wet so the rig, truck and car are all filthy. I needed to do some cleaning inside. Jeff went outside. He had to wait for it to warm up a bit. It was really a pretty day. The wind was crazy today. After cleaning I took Ruby for a walk and looked at all the colorful trees. This is a pretty park. We got here just in time because the campers have been pulling in like crazy.




The rest of the day we hung around here. We had made plans to go the Larry and Francie's house for lunch tomorrow. She called today and said she had to go out of town to help with her grandson. Now we will be meeting Larry for lunch in Perry.


Wednesday October 23- This morning the wind has died down, so Jeff had a campfire this morning. We enjoyed our coffee out by the fire. Since Ruby does not like campfires she got a walk this morning.




















We left to take a short ride to Perry. It's only about 6 or 7 miles. We met Larry...aka Rosebud at the 4 way stop. There is only one in town. Then we told us of our options. We decided to go to The Junction. We got a table and got to talking. They have just retired last year and he had some questions. We also got caught up on all the family stuff too. He is always a hoot to be around. We stayed longer than everyone. I think we were the only ones left in the restaurant. We said our good byes. Jeff and Rosey decided to skip the sailboat ride this time. The weather just wouldn't cooperate. It was either way to windy or the temperatures were too cold.



Thursday October 24- It's cool again today and gray. They are calling for dropping temps today. A high in the 40's. We had plans to meet the Crumrine's for lunch in Hannibal. Well if you go to Hannibal, and you are a quilter, you stop at The Hickory Stick. It is my favorite quilt store. I was excited to go, for sure. So we left early so I could have plenty of time to look around.




















As usual this place does not disappoint. When I walk in my eyes don't know where to land. There is so much to see and so let the exploring begin. I fell in love with this snowman quilt on the wall. I found the kit but it seemed a bit much and wasn't sure if I could do the applique part. I bought some fabric for my next quilt project. I'll just have to think about it.




















Well my time was going by fast. So I had to leave. The next stop was The Mark Twain Dinnette. We are meeting David, Amanda and kids for lunch. When we arrived David was there and it wasn't long before Amanda and kids rolled in.



We had a nice lunch and great conversation. It is always nice to get with old friends and catch up. This is a wonderful young family.

Before heading back to the campground I had more more stop I wanted to make. Francie had told me about a Ben Franklin store in Monroe City. She said it has lots of fabric. Jeff took me and it was amazing. I have never seen so much fabric and craft stuff in a store. It was a great find and I will definitely be back.





















Friday October 25- We are staying put today. I needed to do some baking. I'm taking some stuff to Keokuk tomorrow.  I made sugar cookies and a peach pie. Jeff wanted a haircut. He also fueled up the truck. We had another campfire before supper.




















Saturday October 26- Another gray day today. We are going back to Hannibal and then to Keokuk. First we went to Hannibal, I went back to the quilt store to get that snowman quilt fabric. I'm super excited. Instead of getting the kit I found another kit online. I think I can make it without the kit. I didn't waste any time when I arrived. I showed them what I wanted to make and this lady was so good in helping me figure which fabrics I needed and how much. I left the store so happy.


 

Then Jeff and I went to Wayne's BBQ for lunch. The sandwich was really good, the sides ok. Then we headed to Keokuk. First we went back to see Dru and Jay. That's who I made the pie and cookies for. The good thing was we all got to enjoy a piece of pie. After visiting for a bit we left to go to The Elks. That is where the annual fire fighter picnic is. We were early but we had plenty of folks to visit with. We weren't sure anyone was going to show up. They did and it was a really nice group. It was one of the best picnic for awhile. They had a good turn out and they stayed around and visited for a while. We are sure glad we made the trip back. It was a really great day.

Sunday October 27- Today we travel. We are heading south just a little bit more. We are going to Gun Creek Campground. It is a Corp of Engineer park on Rend Lake. We have stayed here many times. When we pulled in the place was busier than we expected. Jeff had done some research and found  a site he was hoping to use. The site is reservable and it was available. We backed in to site #79. It is paved, but no sewer or water hook up. We are only staying a few days so it is fine. Our view is worth it. Here are a few shots of the area.






This is the first of 3 days but the weather going to decline. So glad I got these pictures. Til next time.....

























































































































No comments:

Post a Comment