Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

Friday, June 1, 2018 and bugs

Monday May 14- Boy oh boy did it rain last night. I got woke up more than once. It is nice to have your phone right there to check the radar.  No rain when I woke up so I got the dogs out because more rain expected. We got lucky because most of the weather went north. The temperatures really rose and the guys here still mowed. So we had quite a mess outside. On a better note the orioles are going crazy out there. The bad news is I think they have scared the gold finches and hummingbirds away. I counted around 20 birds either on the feeders or waiting in the trees to eat.

Tuesday May 15- When we get back to Iowa we have to make our doctor rounds. Today Jeff had to go in for his blood work. He had a coffee in tow to enjoy after he finished. It is really nice outside today, so I got lots of walks in. I have been trying to get back into hitting my 10,000 steps a day. Now the orioles have left the premises. I still get a few but the masses have moved on.  The park ranger has finished up our shower house. Now we can get in there and do a real good clean up done. Had an early supper, then I took Jeff and his kayak down to the boat ramp to give fishing a try. He called when he came in and I went to pick him up. As we were loading the kayak up I spotted a baby fox in the grass behind Jeff. We have heard there is a den around the boat ramp. We have heard there are 4 babies but we only saw one.

So cute, so lucky we spotted him. He was very curious for sure.

Wednesday May 16- Today I went to town and did some shopping. I got to visit a quilt store in town that is awesome. I walked in at a good time there was a big sale going on. I also picked up some groceries. When I  got back I enjoyed the good weather and sat outside. After supper I walked down to the boat ramp area to see if I could see the foxes and their den. Well I saw the den but nobody was home.

Thursday May 17- Another good day weather wise. Got another nice walk in with Ruby. Justin wanted to mow and Molly had some where she needed to be. I went over there to watch her so he could mow. It is Jeff's night to jam in Palo. We went down early to eat pizza at Brogan's. After eating I took Jeff to Lenny's house. I went in and visited him and Dawn before taking off. Maddyn and I had a nice evening visiting.

I picked up Jeff on the way back.

Friday May 18- Busy day today. After walking I got busy cleaning. We have a guest arriving this evening. Judy is coming for the weekend. I gave Miss Ruby a bath and Belle got a haircut. Not my favorite tasks to do but necessary. Judy arrived around 7:30. We sat outside and visited until the gnats got so bad then inside.

Saturday May 19- To start our day, Judy, Ruby and I walked down to look for the baby foxes. I showed her there home and there was one little fox sitting outside of that. We got some pictures but then Judy scared him. So cool to see them. They are so cute.

We decided to make a run in to town, stopping at Sam's first and the movie theater after that. We saw an early morning movie. We went to the theater that has recliners again. That is becoming one of our favorite theaters. We saw the movie Book Club, a chick flick that was super funny....good pick.

After the movie came home and sat outside a bit. We fixed a yummy supper, cleaned up and headed back to town. We stopped at Justin and Molly's so Judy could meet Maddyn.

Then we made our way down to the Paramount to see The Beatles Classical Mystery Tour. We have never seen this Beatle tribute band before. They were accompanied by the Cedar Rapids orchestra. It was a really great show. They played a lot of different songs than the other bands had not played. It was really a full sound with all that help from the orchestra.

The theater was full and it was an awesome show, so glad we decided to come. What a fun day we've had.

Sunday May 20- We got some rain last night, and this morning the temperatures are dropping. I think it's chilly out there. We got ready to go to church. Hailey wanted to come with us. She said she wants to see Judy because she hasn't seen her forever. After church we decided to go out for breakfast. We went to Perkins and it was a good meal. After eating we came back to the rig. Hailey came with us. We just sat around and visited. Judy left around 2ish. We played some games with Hailey before taking her back home. We stopped at Walmart before heading home.

Monday May 21- Today our camp loop officially reopened. We already have problems. Last night it rained all night long. We got a lot of rain. It didn't want to turn off today either. We spent a lot of our day inside because of the weather. We got our volunteer paperwork that Carl gave us filled out. Our walk in sites are already full. With the holiday weekend coming we expected that. What we didn't expect was the mess that was happening on the sites. They put a lime/rock mixture and with the rain they are super soft. We had people already drive through and put some pretty good ruts in the park. We had lots of people stopping to ask questions. Carl also did some scrambling to try and close it back up. They are calling for a rainy weekend to make things worse. Well they ended up getting in touch with the reservations and told them what was happening. At least to give them fair warning of what could happen. Also to give them a chance to cancel and get a refund. Well guess what no one cancelled. They did manage to move most of the walk in sites though. 

We had to go get Hailey at school today and take her to gymnastics. Since her session is 2 hours long we took a break and went for mexican. Los Compadres is just down the street, we have ate there before and it is really good. Justin told Jeff he should try the fajita burrito, so he did. Justin also said it is about the size of a nerf football, he was right. Needless to say he did not eat it all. I got a taco salad which was so good. After eating we went back and watched Sissy until she was finished. We dropped her off at her house before coming home.

Tuesday May 22- Today is Jeff's doctor appointment, his physical. He has the same new Doctor as me, we both like her. We are happy we don't have to look around for a new doctor because in these days it is quite a task. I sat in for the first part of his appointment. I left and walked over to the women's clinic for my mammogram. I did not have an appointment, I did a walk in. I wasn't sure how long I would be waiting. I was in and out of there in less than 1/2 hour. That was counting the checking in part too. As I was leaving I spotted Jeff walking up the sidewalk outside. I caught him in the lobby and he couldn't believe I was done. So all that is done. That is always a good feeling, only have to wait for the results...
When we got back Carl the park ranger stopped by to talk. They are thinking about closing back up after this weekend and fix up the pads. He also told us about a problem that happened. Someone decided it was OK to pull some ones tag and put there's in and set up. Who does that? Well he got that all straightened out. Now the rain seems to have been cancelled. Now it is just suppose to break temperature records. With all that, we have had so many bugs. It makes it impossible to sit outside. When you walk you have to swat away the bugs. We usually use absorbine junior but that doesn't even seem to help. We finished the day with checking out our neighbors brand new motor home. The Griffey's have made a purchase and it is a beauty.

Wednesday May 23- It is a scorcher today, with a big side of gnats. This weather is making it hard to get my steps in. So far I have kept it up. Went in to watch Maddyn for a couple hours tonight so Justin could mow. I also needed to borrow his floor space. I needed to pin a t-shirt quilt together. I didn't have enough floor space.

Thursday May 24- Extreme heat and bugs today. Went to the grocery store, spent most of the day inside. This is so crazy for May.....

Friday May 25- Today we are getting ready for the campers to show up. It is going to be a smoking hot time. Jeff and I went to town today. We are going to get a swinging lounge chair. Jeff found one at Menards. I love my swing chair, so I will probably love this too. We stopped for lunch at Culvers...that was the best lunch I've had in a long time. Yummy butter burgers. Came home and stayed inside watching our campers pull in. We went back to town tonight after supper, we are going to Newbo and watching a band play outside, Autum's Waiting. I wasn't sure I wanted to go but we did and surprisingly enough it wasn't too hot. We had some shade. Justin knew that band and told us they were really good. He was right. It was a nice evening. I did get pictures but somehow they have disappeared. We met Justin, Molly and Maddyn down there. We brought our chairs and enjoyed the evening. Even Maddyn seemed to enjoy.

Saturday May 26- Had a very busy morning. The host on the second loop is gone this weekend so we will be watching her shower house and cleaning it. So with the park full they are getting used pretty good. So first cleaned them. I called Justin because Maddyn is getting sprinkled today..baptised. I had to put together a fruit salad for after. We left early to take that to there place. We ended up riding with them....did I tell you it was another smoking hot day? is. We went to the church and then back to there house for lunch. All the food was tastee. Miss Maddyn was a super good girl through it all.

The ride over....grammy had the best seat in the truck.

We came home and checked on both shower houses. It's in the upper 90's with an added bonus of lots of humidity. After cooling off we decided to go outside and put together the new lounger...bad idea. It was so hot. I didn't even get any pictures. I will post one later after I have tried it out. To hot so far. After a quick lunch we went to Grey's Pub to watch Wellstrung...our son and Jordan playing. It was cool in there and it started early enough we went. They were done at ( and we came home. Again my pictures went missing.

Sunday May 27- I shouldn't even have to say it but I's in the 90's again with humidity. Oh the bugs are still hanging out too. Now I have grown up in Iowa. I know it can get pretty hot. I also know there are lots of bugs. I can handle usually one or the other but both...come on. This is getting really old. I keep hearing that these bugs only last a few weeks. It seems like it has been at least that long. We went to church. cleaned the shower houses and spent the rest of the time inside with the A.C. We are in Iowa so it could get cold in the coming days, you never know what you will get.

No comments:

Post a Comment